[RFC] SHF_GNU_RETAIN ELF Section Flag

Florian Weimer fweimer@redhat.com
Fri Sep 18 18:09:43 GMT 2020

* Jozef Lawrynowicz:

> Yes, the use of the KEEP linker script directive is the current way to
> protect a section from garbage collection, but in my original proposal
> I outlined the benefits of using an attribute to save a section from
> garbage collection. For the attribute to work, you need a section flag
> to propagate the information to the linker.

I think you meant to write “an attribute to save a *symbol* from”.
I agree that this is a compelling case for a single-object-file
solution.

Thanks,
Florian
--
Red Hat GmbH, https://de.redhat.com/ , Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Brian Klemm, Laurie Krebs, Michael O'Neill