binutils ld and new PT_GNU_PROPERTY segment

Florian Weimer fweimer@redhat.com
Wed Apr 1 09:29:25 GMT 2020

* Szabolcs Nagy:

> why only -r is problematic?
>
> i thought linking exactly one marked object and other non-marked
> ones with an old linker will have the (incorrect) marking on the
> output that cannot be recognised as wrong.

Where do you get that single marked object?

If you are on a CET-enabled distribution, the startup files are marked,
so you have multiple marked objects right there.

>> I'm not sure we can do that for backwards compatibility reasons.  The
>> ABI has been out there for several years now.
>
> on non-x86 targets it can be still done.

That's true.

Thanks,
Florian