Sourceware mitigating and preventing the next xz-backdoor

Andrew Haley aph-open@littlepinkcloud.com
Sat Apr 6 13:09:10 GMT 2024

On 4/3/24 15:56, Stephen Webb via Gdb wrote:
 > Using feature detection is entirely unnecessary if you guarantee you're
 > only every going to target self-hosted builds on x86_64-linux-gnu
 > running on recent commodity server or desktop hardware.
 >
 > For everything else, yes, it's absolutely required.

Not even x86_64-linux-gnu can escape. We recently added a feature
detection macro to one upstream project because a useful library was
forced to break its ABI, in turn because of a symbol conflict with
other libraries. Shit happens. Autoconf is for then.

--
Andrew Haley  (he/him)
Java Platform Lead Engineer