Broken documentation URLs

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Fri Oct 13 13:08:35 GMT 2023

Hi Eli,

On Fri, 2023-10-13 at 15:55 +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Recently, the GDB online documentation was moved from https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/
> > to https://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb.html/

That might have happened by a texinfo update?

> > As the old address worked for ages (at least a decade!),
> > there are a lot of links on the Internet pointing to some pages under the old URL, which are now broken.
> >
> > The search engines I tested by looking for “gdb.Value” (Google, Kagi and DuckDuckGo) haven’t updated their links either.
> > Is it possible to set up a redirect?
>
> Mark and the rest of overseers: can this be done, please?

As far as I know the onlinedocs are generated by the gdbadmin
through the /home/gdbadmin/ss/update-web-docs script.
See the /home/gdbadmin/ss/update-web-docs/HOWTO

I think this script would be responsible for creating a symlink or
redirect.

I just don't know what the official procedure is for updating that
script or how it is run (through a cronjob?)

Joel do you know?

Cheers,

Mark