Any concrete plans after the GDB BoF?

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Mon Jan 30 18:46:51 GMT 2023

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 05:43:18PM +0000, Lancelot SIX wrote:
> > Lancelot> That being said, I still use git-pw to fetch and apply patch and series.
> > Lancelot> This is really convenient when I am not working on the host where I have
> > Lancelot> my mail client.
> >
> > Have you tried b4 instead?  I haven't yet but it seems like the same
> > thing but without needing patchwork, just public inbox.
> >
> > https://b4.docs.kernel.org/en/latest/index.html
>
> I haven't yet either.  For now git-pw seems to allow me to do what I am
> trying to achieve.  I'll still try to have a closer look at b4 to check
> if it can provide a better experience.

b4 acts a little different from git-pw. It uses Message-IDs to fetch
patches (and/or a whole thread as mbox). So it helps if your mta
displays those prominently. If you use emacs you might be interested
in piem: https://git.kyleam.com/piem/about/

For gdb-patches you want to add the following to your .git/config:

[b4]
    midmask = https://inbox.sourceware.org/gdb-patches/%s
    linkmask = https://inbox.sourceware.org.org/gdb-patches/%s

There is a command line example in this presentation:
https://gnu.wildebeest.org/~mark/fsf-sourceware/presentation.html#slide14

The latest b4 can also interact with patchwork, but I haven't tried
that out yet. The new settings are described at:
https://b4.docs.kernel.org/en/latest/config.html#patchwork-integration-settings

Cheers,

Mark