AArch64 and fixed return address register (x30)

Sylwester Garncarek sylwester.garncarek@gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 00:50:19 GMT 2023

Hi All,

I've been working on adding CFI directives to assembler sources (GNU
Asm) of an RTOS and I noticed that GDB seems to ignore
.cfi_return_column directive. I checked GDB sources and indeed for
AArch64 architecture the return address is fixed to x30 register.
Normally this is not a problem, but for exception/interrupt the return
address is in ELR_mode register. Because GDB is fixed to x30, there is
no way to get a valid call stack. Are there any plans to make the return
address register adjustable according to the info provided in DWARF data?

Thanks,
Sylwester