Hardware watchpoints on GNU/Linux AArch64

Andrew Pinski pinskia@gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 17:28:21 GMT 2023

On Mon, Jan 2, 2023 at 8:49 AM Florian Weimer via Gdb
<gdb@sourceware.org> wrote:

> Running
>
> gdb-12.1-10.fc38.aarch64
> kernel-6.2.0-0.rc1.20221230gitbff687b3dad6.15.fc38.aarch64
>
> I do not seem to be able to use hardware watchpoints.  GDB just logs
> warnings:
>
> warning: Unable to determine the number of hardware watchpoints available.
> warning: Unable to determine the number of hardware breakpoints available.

This shows up when the ptrace either fails or ptrace returns an
unknown value for AARCH64_DEBUG_ARCH value.
In the boot log there should be a message saying how many HW
breakpoint and watchpoints there are and what version of the debug
arch is there.
The supported values for debug arch are:
#define AARCH64_DEBUG_ARCH_V8 0x6
#define AARCH64_DEBUG_ARCH_V8_1 0x7
#define AARCH64_DEBUG_ARCH_V8_2 0x8
#define AARCH64_DEBUG_ARCH_V8_4 0x9

I don't know of any other values that can be reported, especially for
Neoverse-N1 (which should be 8_2). Neoverse-N2 is 8_4.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski