Syncing the toplevel with the GCC tree

Arsen Arsenović arsen@aarsen.me
Wed Aug 2 13:49:21 GMT 2023

Alan, Tom,

Tom Tromey <tom@tromey.com> writes:

> Alan> The process goes like this:
> Alan> 1) Some ports have been removed from gcc but not binutils-gdb, so
> Alan> firstly revert those patches to the top-level on the gcc side.
>
> Alan> 2) Copy over the gcc configury and makefiles.
>
> FWIW, when I was doing some merges from GCC, what I generally did is
> find the upstream patches, "git format-patch" them, then "git am" them
> into the binutils-gdb tree, fixing up problems along the way.

Thanks for the tips.  I've gone ahead and cherry picked (by adding my
gcc checkout as a remote in my binutils-gdb checkout and vice-versa)
most diverging patches from each repo.

This approach also retains authorship information (though, I will have
to comb over the resulting commits to add context and adjust commit
messages).

A few manual interventions remain, and I've yet to synchronize the
libtool forks and re-do testing.

I hope to finish that by the weekend.

The result should be identical trees, which will make it easier to post
and review patches for the gettext update and intl/ removal.

Have a lovely day.
--
Arsen Arsenović