_WIN32_WINNT redefined?

Jeffrey Walton noloader@gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 13:10:21 GMT 2022

On Wed, Nov 2, 2022 at 9:02 AM Eli Zaretskii via Gdb <gdb@sourceware.org> wrote:

> > Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2022 10:15:01 +0000
> > From: niXman via Gdb <gdb@sourceware.org>

> > > ok, I did a little research.
> > >
> > > the `_WIN32_WINNT` is defined in `gdbsupport/common-defs.h` only, but
> > > referenced in `gnulib/import/gettimeofdeay.c` and
> > > `gnulib/import/stat-w32.c` only, but not directly because those files
> > > include `windows,h` and `sdkdkver.h`. thus that `_WIN32_WINNT` define
> > > is never used!
> > >
> > > so I think the best way is to remove that define completely.
> > >

> > > ideas?
> >
> > right, with commented out the entire PP block the build was successful!
>
> This is the wrong solution, IMO.

Here's what Microsoft has to say about it:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/porting/modifying-winver-and-win32-winnt
"

    To modify the macros, in a header file (for example, in targetver.h,
    which is included by some project templates that target Windows),
    add the following lines.

    #define WINVER 0x0A00
    #define _WIN32_WINNT 0x0A00

If I am reading that correctly, there should be a common header file
which defines WINVER and _WIN32_WINNT. In my old MFC days, we would
set it in a file like <stdafx.h> . In a non-MFC project, we would set
it under the Visual Studio preprocessor macros, which is just
CPPFLAGS.

Maybe there needs to be a configure option to set the values.
Configure would then create the header file with the values. If the
configure option is not supplied, then use a sane default value and
create the header file.

Jeff