[builder] gdb_check_step: remove gdb.gdb/selftest.exp

Carl Love cel@us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 10 15:54:00 GMT 2022

On Fri, 2022-06-10 at 11:58 +0100, Luis Machado wrote:
> On 6/10/22 11:50, Mark Wielaard wrote:
> > Hi,

Trying to to understand how you are running the test.  I think you are
running these as remote tests, i.e. machine A requests that a remote
machine B run the test via gdbserver, correct?

I tried running the tests naitively, i.e. on a Power 10  RHEL 9 system
I ran:

make check RUNTESTFLAGS='GDB=/home/carll/bin/gdb gdb.base/break-
interp.exp  '

The gdb summary is:

                === gdb Summary ===

# of expected passes            702
# of expected failures          20

> > > Sigh, sorry, looks like gdb.base/break-unload-file.exp also
> > > sometimes
> > > fails.
> > > I have removed from the list. Hopefully the remaining list does
> > > actually pass.

I ran gdb.base/break-unload-file.exp on the same Power 10 RHEL 9
system.

make check RUNTESTFLAGS='GDB=/home/carll/bin/gdb gdb.base/break-unload-
file.exp  '

 The gdb summary is:
                === gdb Summary ===

# of expected passes            36

So it doesn't appear the tests are fundamentally broken.

We have only played around with running the gdb testsuite remotely a
little.  Specifically, we were working on documenting how it is done.
We see a number of additional issues running remotely versus natively
but at this point have not had the time/bandwidth to dig into them

> > And it didn't :{
> >

> Yeah. As expected, the GDB testsuite is a bit delicate when you start
> dealing with
> multiple architectures and modes. But I think this is good progress
> already.
>
> > Both debian-ppc64 and fedora-ppc64le failed (UNRESOLVED)
> > gdb.base/break-idempotent.exp under both native-gdbserver and
> > native-
> > extended-gdbserver

Running that test natively, i.e.

 make check RUNTESTFLAGS='GDB=/home/carll/bin/gdb gdb.base/break-
idempotent.exp  '

generates a number of errors:

ERROR: breakpoints not deleted
ERROR: no fileid for ltcd97-lp2
ERROR: Couldn't send delete breakpoints to GDB.
ERROR: can't read "gdb_spawn_id": no such variable
    while executing
"expect {
-i 1000 -timeout 100
	-re ".*A problem internal to GDB has been detected" {
	    fail "$message (GDB internal error)"
	    gdb_internal_erro..."
    ("uplevel" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"uplevel $body" TCL READ VARNAME can't read "gdb_spa

The gdb summary is:

                === gdb Summary ===

# of expected passes            35
# of unresolved testcases       3

> > https://builder.sourceware.org/buildbot/#builders/76/builds/446
> > https://builder.sourceware.org/buildbot/#builders/85/builds/294
>
> Those might be genuine issues. I'm cc-ing Carl and Will so they can
> chime in.

Need to work on getting this one fixed for a native run before worrying
about running it remotely.

I will add this to the list of gdb issues that needs work.

                           Carl