building GDB natively using 'configure' at 'two' levels

SAIFI saifi@strikr.io
Wed Sep 8 09:47:12 GMT 2021

On Wed, 8 Sep 2021, Andrew Burgess wrote:

> Here's how I'd configure and build GDB:

>  ../src/configure .... all configure options here ....

> Configure options passed to src/configure will be forwarded to
> src/gdb/configure automatically.

Thanks Andrew !

in essence, 'sub'-configure options can be specified to the 'top'-configure

${SRC}/gdb/configure                \
       --prefix=/opt/gdb             \
       --datadir=/opt/gdb/data       \
       --htmldir=/opt/gdb/doc        \
       --disable-binutils            \
       --disable-ld                  \
       --disable-gold                \
       --disable-gas                 \
       --disable-sim                 \
       --disable-gprof               \
       --disable-largefile           \
       --with-gnu-ld                 \
       --with-expat=no               \
       --with-python=no              \
       --with-guile=no               \
       --with-intel-pt=no            \
       --with-babeltrace=no

in other words,

as an example, given that there are three sub directories with a configure script
  sub_dir_01
  sub_dir_02
  sub_dir_03

if sub_dir_01 'configure' had options
   o1
   o2
   o3
and sub_dir_02 'configure' had options
   o4
   o5
then top level 'configure' will apply the 'union' of all the options specified
   o1
   o2
   o3
   o4
   o5
to each sub-directory which has a 'configure' script, ie.
   sub_dir_01
   sub_dir_02
   sub_dir_03

sorry for being pedantic, just making sure that i understood 'the manner of application of options' correctly.

warm regards
Saifi.