feature branch for creating MI commands with python (was: How to create new mi commands via python / get current interpreter in python)

Lancelot SIX lsix@lancelotsix.com
Tue Nov 23 12:48:19 GMT 2021

On Tue, Nov 23, 2021 at 12:29:41PM +0000, Jan Vrany wrote:
> Hi Simon, Andrew
>

> > > Done. Rebased on a recent master and pushed into branch:
> > > "users/jv/patches/feature-python-mi":
> > >
> > > https://sourceware.org/git/?p=binutils-gdb.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/users/jv/patches/feature-python-mi
> > >

> I have rebased this branch on to of Andrew's patches and
> wanted to update the feature branch on sourceware.org but
> it failed:
>
> remote: error: denying non-fast-forward
> refs/heads/users/jv/patches/feature-python-mi (you should pull first)
>
> What's the correct way of updating rebased / edited feature branch?

Hi,

When I have to do this and cannot force push to a feature branch, I
first delete the remote branch, and then push to re-create it.

This could look like something like this (assuming you push the remove
called origin):

    git push origin :users/jv/patches/feature-python-mi
    git push origin the_name_of_the_local_branch:users/jv/patches/feature-python-mi

Hopefully, this does the trick.

Best,
Lancelot.