CI Builds (was: Building with recent GCC versions: gdbsupport/gdb_assert.h:35:4: error: 'nonnull' argument 'filename' compared to NULL [-Werror=nonnull-compare])

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@lug-owl.de
Sat Jul 31 21:18:40 GMT 2021

Hi!

On Mon, 2021-07-26 23:11:01 +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm running some CI builds and noticed that, when building GDB with
> quite recent GCC versions, it breaks.
>
> With ie. this "gcc-snapshot" GCC from Debian:
>
> /usr/lib/gcc-snapshot/bin/gcc --version
> gcc (Debian 20210630-1) 12.0.0 20210630 (experimental) [master revision 6bf383c37e6:93c270320bb:35da8a98026849bd20d16bbf9210ac1d0b44ea6a]

[...]

I just wanted to add a few thoughts.

  There's this machine running, doing test compiles for
Binutils/GAS/GDB as well as GCC, Linux kernel, SIMH simulator and
NetBSD (cross-compiled from Linux and from a NetBSD host running in
KVM.) I'm usually building with gcc-snapshot (except Linux kernel,
which cross-compiles from my last matching GCC build for that target,
so it's nearly master.)

  When I detect issues like this (either individual targets or global
breakages like this non-null attribution issue), shall I report them
to the GDB list? Open a ticket? Most of the time, I think I'd be able
to pin-point a causing commit.

Thanks,
  Jan-Benedict
PS: I've seen that there was a CI build thread these days, maybe I'd
also comment on that?