[ANNOUNCEMENT] GDB 11 release branch created!

Eli Zaretskii eliz@gnu.org
Tue Jul 6 15:50:26 GMT 2021

> Cc: brobecker@adacore.com, tom@tromey.com, bernd.edlinger@hotmail.de,
>  gdb@sourceware.org
> From: Tom de Vries <tdevries@suse.de>
> Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 16:58:28 +0200
>
> > Therefore, I tried to propose a band-aid:
> > have the readline/readline/doc directory be _always_ on the makeinfo's
> > include path, so that if someone reconfigures GDB like in the
> > reproducer, they still get a successful build, albeit with a couple of
> > sections in the manual they don't need.
>
> AFAIU, the problem is not that users get a couple of sections in the
> manual they don't need.  The problem is that the users get the incorrect
> version of a section of the manual.

I think this is a minor problem.  How different could be the Readline
we have in the tarball vs the one installed on the user's system?
Readline is a relatively stable package, so changes are likely minor.

> I did this:
> -  READLINE_TEXI_INCFLAG=
> +  READLINE_TEXI_INCFLAG='-I $(READLINE_DIR)'
> in src/gdb/configure and managed to finish the build.

So my recommendation is to go with this solution on the release
branch.  I will try to think about a cleaner fix on master.

> I'd say the easiest way to fix the problem is to revert the commit that
> introduced the problem.

I wouldn't recommend that.  In fact, I do have Texinfo installed, but
I nevertheless am always slightly annoyed by the fact that building
GDB always rebuilds the Info manual for some reason.  I hope that
commit solved this.

Joel, it's your call.