[ANNOUNCEMENT] GDB 11 release branch created!

Eli Zaretskii eliz@gnu.org
Mon Jul 5 12:33:03 GMT 2021

> Cc: gdb@sourceware.org
> From: Tom de Vries <tdevries@suse.de>
> Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2021 12:36:00 +0200
>
> > The tarball contains the file gdb/doc/GDBvn.texi which is a generated
> > file depending on the configuration.  This breaks building with
> > --with-system-readline.
>
> I managed to reproduce this.
>
> The steps are:
> - download (or create using src-release.sh) a snapshot
> - unpack it, into say src
> - cd src; find -name "*.info*" | xargs rm -f
> - mkdir build; cd build ; ../src/configure --with-system-readline
> - cd build; make all-gdb
>
> For make output, see below.
>
> This can be fixed/worked around by doing:
> $ rm -f gdb/doc/GDBvn.texi
> as Andreas did here (
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/rdiff/home:AndreasSchwab/gdb?linkrev=base&rev=143
> ).
>
> My guess is that this is a regression since:
> commit ab954e4a53cab8c33728e6708695abc1616c90b1
> Author: Bernd Edlinger <bernd.edlinger@hotmail.de>
> Date:   Wed Nov 25 18:52:49 2020 +0100
>
>     Fix building gdb release from tar file without makeinfo
>
>     Add GDBvn.texi and version.subst to the release tar file,
>     so the gdb.info does not need makeinfo.
>
>     This avoids the need for makeinfo to be available.
>
> Interestingly, there are previous commits related to GDBvn.texi where
> the submission emails show the same problem (
> https://sourceware.org/pipermail/gdb-patches/2011-January/078980.html ),
> and the final conclusion of that discussion (
> https://sourceware.org/pipermail/gdb-patches/2011-January/079001.html ) is:
> So, unless anyone else objects, removing GDBvn.texi from the
> distributed files is the solution.

But that would again bring the problem that inclusion was intended to
fix, no?

Wouldn't it be better to modify the configure script so that
READLINE_TEXI_INCFLAG always includes "-I ${READLINE_DIR}"?  Or did I
misunderstand the reason why makeinfo doesn't find the Readline
manual?

Thanks.