[RFC] Proposal for hosting GDB CI builds

Rainer Orth ro@CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Thu Jul 1 09:40:32 GMT 2021

Hi Luis,

> Linaro can take care of providing builders and build jobs for ARM. Other
> architectures would be handled by their respective contributors. Those
> contributors can write jobs and plug builders as needed.

thanks for coming forward with this: this is very welcome, given how
easy it is to miss build failures and other issues especially on
not-so-common targets.

However, is there any documentation on setting up new builders?  I've
never dealt with Jenkins before, and from glimpsing over the docs some
time ago when Jeff Law talked about extending this GCC builders to a
wider range of architectures left me completely at a loss: the whole
thing felt like a total moloch with an incredible range of abilities,
but little to no guidance on how to start.  If the GDB CI wants to
extend beyond a Linux-only range of targets, I believe considerable
documentation is necessary to make this happen.

Besides, I seem to have glimpsed from the Linaro instance that the
builders use Docker.  Is this a requirement or just a convenience?  I'm
asking because there's no current Docker port to Solaris (there used to
be one based on zones, but it's no longer maintained) and the
buildbot-based builders I'm running (for both LLVM and GDB) do fine
without.

Thanks.
        Rainer