How to display instructions around the current instuction?

Peng Yu pengyu.ut@gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 02:32:49 GMT 2021

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 8:22 PM Sterling Augustine
<saugustine@google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 6:07 PM Peng Yu via Gdb <gdb@sourceware.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I hate to take this further offtopic but would like you to consider
> > > that if people were required to test all suggestions first,
> >
> > That is not what I meant. See below.
> >
> > > many
> > > test my hook-stop suggestion. I am not sure that people would be
> > > better off in such a world.
> >
> > The point is the answer is better to be correct.
>
> Remind me: How many contributions have you made to gdb?
>
> > If it is known to be
> > correct, of course, there is no need to test it. But if the sender is
> > not sure, it is better to test it to make sure. If a sender sends out
> > a wrong answer, s/he does show respect to the recipient.
>
> You have a strange, rather binary view, of "correct" vs "incorrect".
> Every single idea here does something approximately like what you
> want. Many people in the past asking similar questions would have been
> perfectly fine with a wide variety of answers. You might not like it,
> but you don't get to decide what the proper etiquette in this mailing
> list.

So, you get to decide it?

> If you decide they aren't exact enough, then, well, not much we can
> do. But most people who come begging for help from people who are just
> trying to be kind are willing to at least work with the possible
> answers, and see if they can adapt them, rather than playing like they
> are proctoring a test.
>
>  It is not our job to give you technical support--nor is it this
> mailing list's reason for existence. You are lucky people are
> answering at all.
>
> I would rather people try to help than refrain from answering in case
> it isn't exactly what the beggar wanted. That is how this list has
> always worked in the two-decades I've been a part of it.
>
> In fact, you have really no room to insist people help you in any
> particular way. We have all worked on gdb for years--maybe decades. We
> have all been active on this list for as long. So insisting we follow
> your preferences rather than ours is incredibly rude.
>
> How many patches do have in gdb again?

I don't see this is a relevant question here. If you want to ask that
question, go to gdb-patches.

gdb (archives) A list for general discussion about GDB. Any
GDB-related subject not covered by another list is appropriate here;
in practice, most of the discussions are about ideas for future
changes. Patches should be sent to the gdb-patches mailing-list (see
below). Bugs should be reported using the Bug Database.

gdb-patches (archives) For patch submissions and discussion. All patch
submissions and submission discussion should go through this list.
--
Regards,
Peng