gdb online manuals

Joel Brobecker brobecker@adacore.com
Mon Sep 21 00:38:12 GMT 2020

> Thank you for the tip.
> Ok, I saw version 9 is documented here now:
> https://sourceware.org/gdb/onlinedocs/gdb/index.html
>

> I noticed "refcard" and "stack_frame" only have gz versions. refcard.pdf.gz is actually only 1000 bytes smaller compressed, maybe simpler just to show it as a PDF? At least it shows in the browser then.
>
> stack_frame.pdf.gz is 7000 bytes smaller. I'm sure the web-browser would download it via http compression anyway.

I finally had some time to look at this today; as it turns out,
it's just not refcard of stack_frame that don't compress well,
it's all PDF files. I think the PDF being produced are already
compressed, which explain why gzip doesn't provide much gains.

Given the extra usability, I just changed the generation of the docs
to not compress the pdf files (the rest stays the same, as in those
other formats, it does make a difference).

--
Joel