Proposal to remove Python 2 support

Jeffrey Walton noloader@gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 19:20:14 GMT 2020

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 12:56 PM Tom Tromey <tom@tromey.com> wrote:

> Pedro> Dropping Python 2 support is going to be an issue for us, given
> Pedro> we will still have a couple years more of DTS releases for RHEL
> Pedro> 7, which is Python 2.7 based.
>
> >> RHEL 7 comes with Python 3.6 as well.
>
> I think the issue must be that gdb is built against Python 2 on RHEL 7.
>
> Does anyone know if there are other distros with LTS releases that do
> this?  I guess it makes sense to hold off for those; at least major
> distros anyway.

Ubuntu 16.04 is LTS, and it is also ESM. ESM is Extended Security
Maintenance. The ESM means it will probably be around for 2 or 3 years
beyond the 5 years provided by LTS (i.e., 2023 or so).

It looks like Ubuntu 16.04 provides both Python 2.7 and 3.5.
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/python/.

It looks like Ubuntu 16's GDB is built against Python 3.5.
https://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/devel/gdb.

Jeff