Proposal to remove Python 2 support

Eli Zaretskii eliz@gnu.org
Fri Sep 18 07:25:03 GMT 2020

> From: vincent Dupaquis <v.dupaquis@trusted-objects.com>
> Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2020 09:15:35 +0200
>
> Some vendors are still delivering gdb with python2 by default, for
> instance ARM in their arm-none-eabi delivery
> (https://developer.arm.com/tools-and-software/open-source-software/developer-tools/gnu-toolchain/gnu-rm/downloads).

To clarify, I didn't mean to say that we should decide not to have new
features supported for Python 2.  What I wrote was written in response
to an opinion that keeping Python 2 supported might induce some heavy
development and maintenance costs.  I then said that we could decide
not to support some of the newer features for Python 2, because doing
that would be better than dropping Python 2 support completely.

FTR, I'm the last person to be happy with dropping Python 2 support: I
have it installed, and I'm building GDB with Python 2.  I even
volunteered to be the tester of Python 2.6 usage in GDB, because that
is even older.