Proposal to remove Python 2 support

Tom Tromey tom@tromey.com
Thu Sep 17 17:07:41 GMT 2020

>>>>> "Andrew" == Andrew Burgess <andrew.burgess@embecosm.com> writes:

Andrew> Something that I think might be related here, or at least worth
Andrew> mentioning, is guile support.

Andrew> Without knowing (a) what the new feature is, or (b) how Tom plans to
Andrew> implement...

Andrew> Can the feature be added to guile in the same super clean / clever
Andrew> way?  If not are we taking the position that this feature just
Andrew> wouldn't be available on guile?  Or would we potentially end up
Andrew> implementing the feature the "other way" anyway?

Normally features are added to the Python or Guile layer based on
developer interest.  So, they aren't really at parity in general.

I don't really know if Guile has anything that Python is missing.  Maybe
something to do with I/O -- I'm not super familiar with it.

But IIRC Guile doesn't have frame filters, unwinder support, or TUI
windows.  Maybe more is missing there as well.

I don't know if inferior control can be added to the Guile layer easily,
but I would assume so, because Scheme generally has better support for
continuation-like things than other languages.

Andrew> Additionally there's always the option of supporting a particular
Andrew> feature only when the user compiles against a particular Python
Andrew> version.  I guess this would depend on how tightly coupled the feature
Andrew> ends up being to the rest of the GDB/Python code.

I don't really like to do this kind of thing because the user experience
is bad -- gdb might or might not work.  Though of course we're already
in that situation since the entire scripting layer is optional.

Tom