Proposal to remove Python 2 support

Eli Zaretskii eliz@gnu.org
Wed Sep 16 15:44:31 GMT 2020

> Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 08:23:29 -0700
> From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>
> Cc: Paul Koning <paulkoning@comcast.net>, Tom Tromey <tom@tromey.com>,
>  gdb@sourceware.org
>
> Here, what we are talking about, is the fact that keeping Python 2
> support would delay the implementation of a feature (or force us
> to implement it in a way that's more complex -- something I don't
> think Tom is interested in doing).

That shouldn't be a problem: it's perfectly fine to say that some GDB
feature requires Python 3.x.  We already have something similar with
Guile, I believe.

> My feeling is that the end of Python 2.x is something we have known
> about for a very long time, and those still stuck on it have a
> workaround: They can continue using older versions of GDB.

That is not always possible, though.  One may need a GDB feature that
was introduced in a newer version, but still have good reason to be
"stuck" with old Python versions.