Proposal to remove Python 2 support

Andrew Burgess andrew.burgess@embecosm.com
Wed Sep 16 13:53:12 GMT 2020

* Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com> [2020-09-16 06:00:13 -0700]:

> > That has no sense for me because Python 2 doesn't disappear from distros.
>
> I don't know how long this is going to be True, but "distros" have
> been shipping Python 3.x for quite a while now, so lack of Python 2
> support wouldn't prevent you from building GDB with Python support
> enabled.

But a user might potentially have a significant body of Python 2 code
that they run through GDB, so it's not as simple as "just" building
with Python 3 and off they go.

I think once distros start to drop Python 2 then there's a really good
argument that GDB should drop Python 2 also, but before then we need
to go in with our eyes open, if the distros still ship Python 2 then
users might be annoyed if they have to rewrite their scripts.

Thanks,
Andrew