Auto update ChangeLog for binutils+gdb commits?

Martin Liška mliska@suse.cz
Fri May 29 13:56:50 GMT 2020

On 5/29/20 2:44 PM, Tom Tromey wrote:
> Martin> For generation of ChangeLog template, you can use:
> Martin> https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=blob;f=contrib/mklog.py;h=243edbb15c522169709902b27a8558c6e0755107;hb=HEAD
>
> Can it be used without manual intervention?
> Or do I still have to edit in all the function names?

One only needs to describe what's purpose of a change.

> Could you run it on some recent gdb commits and show the output?

Sure:

$ git format-patch -1 2b2558bfacba3813863da6728c021eb89fa34677 && ~/Programming/gcc/contrib/mklog.py 00*
0001-Move-DWARF-constant-stringifying-code-to-new-file.patch

ChangeLog:

	* gdb/ChangeLog:
	* gdb/Makefile.in:
	* gdb/dwarf2/read.c (dwarf_tag_name):
	(dwarf_attr_name):
	(dwarf_form_name):
	(dwarf_bool_name):
	(dwarf_type_encoding_name):
	(dwarf_unknown):
	* gdb/dwarf2/stringify.c: New file.
	* gdb/dwarf2/stringify.h: New file.

> Martin> About the merges: it's a pain to make a backport (a.k.a) as you're very likely
> Martin> conflict in ChangeLog entries. Having the ChangeLog entries in message one
> Martin> can do simple git cherry-pick and it's done.
>
> This is emphatically not the case for me.
>
> Martin> About the date-updating: it's also pain to always update a timestamp before
> Martin> a patch is installed.
>
> What I'm saying is that it isn't a pain.  It's a single command before
> pushing.  I can't remember the last time the scripts failed but it's
> surely been more than 5 years.
>
> I write a lot of patches in gdb and I have already filed off as many
> annoying parts as I could -- which is why my default stance is not to
> want to change.  Changing implies that maybe I'd have to redo this work.

Sure. You're a skilled GDB developer with long experience. But for newcomers or
people without the scripts, this can simplify their workflow.

Martin