Solaris - procfs: couldn't find pid 32748 (kernel thread 21) in procinfo list

Rainer Orth ro@CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Thu May 28 16:01:24 GMT 2020

Hi Petr,

> I'm running into the issue below. Any suggestion how to this?
>
> # DISPLAY=:1 gdb /opt/firefox/bin/firefox
> GNU gdb (GDB) 9.2
> License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
> <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
> There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
> Type "show copying" and "show warranty" for details.
> This GDB was configured as "sparc-sun-solaris2.11".
> Type "show configuration" for configuration details.
> For bug reporting instructions, please see:
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>.
> Find the GDB manual and other documentation resources online at:
>     <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
>
> For help, type "help".
> Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
> Reading symbols from /opt/firefox/bin/firefox...
> (gdb) run -P
> Starting program: /opt/firefox/bin/firefox -P
> [New Thread 1 (LWP 1)]
> [New LWP    2        ]
[...]
> [New LWP    26        ]
> [LWP    20         exited]
> [New LWP    20        ]
> [LWP    21         exited]
> [New LWP    21        ]
> procfs: couldn't find pid 32748 (kernel thread 21) in procinfo list.
> procfs: couldn't find pid 32748 (kernel thread 21) in procinfo list.
> (gdb)
>
> ---
>
> Is this Solaris GDB issue? Any suggestion where to look in GDB code?

I'm seeing this relatively often when running the gdb testsuite (which
makes it unsuitable to run make check on the Solaris gdb buildbots).

I haven't yet gotten around to investigate closely, but the first places
to check are procfs.c (the process layer, via /proc) and sol-thread.c
(the thread layer, via libc_db).

There's lots of old cruft in there from pre-Solaris 9 times with its NxM
thread model, which both breaks a considerable number of test cases and
makes the code harder to follow due to the added complexity/generality
we don't need any longer.

	Rainer