gdb 8.3: "handler for the OSI ABI "FreeBSD" is not built into this configuration"

Martin Simmons qqxnjvamvxwx@dyxyl.com
Sat May 23 22:17:53 GMT 2020

Hi Chris,

Yes, the architecture is detected from the binary if given, otherwise it
defaults to the main architecture.

BTW, have you tried building devel/gdb from the /usr/ports tree?  That
is the normal way to get any specific tweaks that the FreeBSD project
already knows about.

I can't give you comprehensive instructions on how to debug the nested
gdb.  I think you should start by looking at the function
gdbarch_init_osabi in gdb/osabi.c to see what it does.  In summary, it
is looking in the list gdb_osabi_handler_list for something that matches
the argument named info.  It only finds a match if the osabi is the same
and it has an acceptable arch_info (the function can_run_code_for).  It
prints the warning if it doesn't find a match.

The command sequence to start debugging it is something like this:

break gdbarch_init_osabi
run

It should then stop at the breakpoint, where it is useful to do:

print info
print *info.bfd_arch_info
set $tmp=gdb_osabi_handler_list
while $tmp
print *$tmp
print *$tmp->arch_info
set $tmp=$tmp->next
end

That might be enough to find why there is no match, but otherwise you
have to repeatedly use the step command and print other things that the
code is examining.

__Martin