gdb 8.3: "handler for the OSI ABI "FreeBSD" is not built into this configuration"

Simon Marchi simark@simark.ca
Fri May 22 18:51:07 GMT 2020

On 2020-05-22 2:22 p.m., Chris Nicol wrote:
> Dear Simon,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I went ahead and completed the build of gbd-9.1, which had been the original plan. With the gdb-9.1 executable, I re-ran it against the llvm-tblgen binary and its core dump, with the same result as in gdb-8.3. So this is progress of a sort, I suppose.
>
> Taking now the gdb-9.1 and loading gcc9 into the debugger, then "show architecture" yields "The target architecture is set automatically (currently sparc:v9)". The system I am using is based on the 500-MHz UltraSPARC IIe processor. So maybe this setting, sparc:v9, is wrong for this platform?
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Chris.

I'm not really familiar with sparc machines... does that values sound good to
you?  Does it seem to match the machine you have?

In any case, that seems to match the osabi registration line in sparc64-fbsd-tdep.c:

  gdbarch_register_osabi (bfd_arch_sparc, bfd_mach_sparc_v9,
			  GDB_OSABI_FREEBSD, sparc64fbsd_init_abi);

Is the file sparc64-fbsd-tdep.c being compiled?  In other words, does the
file gdb/sparc64-fbsd-tdep.o exist in your build directory?

Simon