GDB locks RPM database

Muhammad Umer umer2834@hotmail.com
Wed May 20 05:04:36 GMT 2020

Thank you Simon! This helps a lot.

Hopefully RedHat/Fedora folks can offer more insight.
________________________________
From: Simon Marchi <simark@simark.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 7:48:44 AM
To: Sterling Augustine <saugustine@google.com>; Muhammad Umer <umer2834@hotmail.com>
Cc: gdb@sourceware.org <gdb@sourceware.org>
Subject: Re: GDB locks RPM database

On 2020-05-19 9:13 p.m., Sterling Augustine via Gdb wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 6:11 PM Muhammad Umer via Gdb <gdb@sourceware.org>
> wrote:
>
>> But why take a lock? If the purpose is to get info about debug packages,
>> why not just query the package database using rpm command and get the
>> required information? Why is taking a lock necessary?
>>

>  Simon didn't implement the functionality, so you would have to ask redhat,
> or whomever it was that wrote the code. This is not a part of a normal gdb
> installation.

Indeed.  I peeked at the Fedora local patches, and this one seems to implement
that feature, using librpm

  https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/gdb/blob/master/f/gdb-6.6-buildid-locate-rpm.patch

So it's plausible that librpm takes a lock, and that lock wasn't cleaned up
(perhaps because of crash), but I can't know for sure.  Hopefully someone from
Red Hat / Fedora can help more.

Simon