[PP?] How to decide the version of the debugger

Simon Marchi simark@simark.ca
Tue Mar 10 15:41:28 GMT 2020

On 2020-03-10 6:09 a.m., 顺 wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I want to build gdb and gdb server for my device.
>

> But I don't know to use which version of gdb. I searched that gcc and gdb version compatibility on Google for long time, there are no detailed result.
>

> Such as,
> $ aarch64-buildroot-linux-gnu-g++ -v
> $ gcc version 6.4.0 (Buildroot 2018.02-rc3-05959-gf2d251d)
>

> How can I found the version supported table between gdb and gcc ?
>

> It's my first time to do that.
>

> Regards.
> Shun

Hi,

GCC and GDB versions are not in lock steps.  In general, you want to use the
latest version of GDB.  The exception being if the latest version of GDB has
a bug that an older version does not have (in which case, be sure to report
the problem).  We aim to make GDB work well with older versions of gcc, up to
a certain point (6.4.0 is not very old).

Simon