Joel Brobecker brobecker@adacore.com
Mon Jun 29 17:48:17 GMT 2020

> Wasn't bug-gdb@gnu.org converted to a gdb@sourceware.org alias years ago?
>
> https://sourceware.org/legacy-ml/gdb/2014-11/msg00023.html
>
> Here,
>
>  https://sourceware.org/legacy-ml/gdb/2014-12/msg00001.html
>
> Sergio said:
>
>  "The GNU sysadmins told me that both lists now redirect here.  I hope it works OK."
>

> I'm surprised the archives even exist beyond 2014.
>
> For example, here:
>
>  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gdb/2016-01/threads.html
>
> we see an email:
>
>  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gdb/2016-01/msg00000.html
>
> that I can't find on the gdb@sourceware.org archive:
>
>  https://sourceware.org/legacy-ml/gdb/2016-01/
>
> Did the redirect stop working or something?

I just did an experiment, and sent an email to bug-gdb, and got
an email back from gdb-owner that it is being held in quarantine
waiting for and admin to approve it. So I think the redirection
is working, but now the mailing-list settings don't let those through
without moderator approval.

I was wondering how active the newsgroup might be. One can take
a look there:

    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/gnu.gdb.bug

To sumarize:
  - One post in 2019, with a question and no replies;
  - Nothing in 2018;
  - A stream of spam in 2017;
  - Two posts in 2016, with no answers;
  - Nothing in 2015;
  - More activity in 2014.

I'm wondering if we shouldn't just ask gnu.org to shut gnu.gdb.bug down.
Then we can adapt the mailinglist page on the GDB website accordingly,
with a link to the old archives for reference (as long as they are live).

--
Joel