How to input decimal numbers when radix is set to hexadecimal

Luveh Keraph 1.41421@gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 19:42:02 GMT 2020

I run my gdb sessions so that the input and output radix is hex:

(gdb) show radix
Input and output radices set to decimal 16, hex 10, octal 20.

Occasionally, I would like to input integers using some base other than
hex. The gdb documentation (Controlling GDB section, Numbers subsection)
says the following:

"You can always enter numbers in octal, decimal, or hexadecimal in GDB by
the usual conventions: octal numbers begin with `0', decimal numbers end
with `.', and hexadecimal numbers begin with `0x'.".

This works fine with the set radix command, but not with the print command
for numbers to base 10:

(gdb) p 017
$1 = 0xf
(gdb) p 17.
$2 = 17

This seems to be in contradiction with the paragraph that I quoted, for it
does not say that such conventions are constrained to the commands to set
the radix. This aside, with the settings that I have (input and output in
hex) is it possible to input integers so that they are interpreted by gdb
as integers to base 10, rather than 16? My expectation was that, given the
way it works for octal, we would be able to do the following:

(gdb) p 17.
$2 = 11