Why enforcing sw_breakpoint_from_kind() implementation in GDBserver targets

Shahab Vahedi shahab.vahedi@gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 11:00:53 GMT 2020

Hi Luis, Simon,

On Thu, Jun 11, 2020 at 07:35:33AM -0300, Luis Machado wrote:
> On 6/11/20 6:40 AM, Shahab Vahedi via Gdb wrote:
> > Hi Simon,
> >
> > The ARC GDB client inserts the breakpoint by writing to memory (the
> > legacy way). With your explanations, I plan to add the Z0 packet
> > support to it.  Nevertheless, should it be still necessary to have
> > "sw_breakpoint_from_kind" in GDBserver as a mandatory method?

Simon, I thought about this a little. Are we aiming for deprecating
the old way? Then I guess that's the way to go.

> > On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 11:05:38PM -0400, Simon Marchi wrote:
> > > I'd look into why that is the case.  GDB tries Z0 first and falls back to the
> > > memory write if Z0 is not supported, so your GDBserver must not support it for
> > > some reason.
> >
> > I am not sure why this could be the case. I will investigate that.
>
> Probably because the ARC port doesn't implement low_insert_point and
> low_remove_point? There is only a dummy Linux implementation, and Linux
> implementations for insert_point/remove_point.

Luis, indeed it does not.

Shahab