Auto update ChangeLog for binutils+gdb commits?

Martin Liška mliska@suse.cz
Tue Jun 2 06:49:46 GMT 2020

On 6/1/20 4:59 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> Cc: simark@simark.ca, hjl.tools@gmail.com, binutils@sourceware.org,
>>   gdb@sourceware.org
>> From: Martin Liška <mliska@suse.cz>
>> Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2020 09:39:08 +0200
>>
>>> If all the script does is look at the hunk headers of the diffs, then
>>> indeed such a script doesn't have any added value.  I thought it did a
>>> more thorough (and thus more accurate) job than that.
>>>

>> It does, it tries to find a function name, macro, struct in a diff hunk
>> and this name is taken as changed. If nothing like this is found, then
>> diff header name is used.
>
> How does it handle the frequent case where the change is attributed by
> Diff to the previous function because the function's type or argument
> list is being modified?

It's handled by parsing of each diff line where we try to identify
beginning of a function, strut or something else. In that case the
diff header is ignored.

> And how does the script decide that "nothing like this is found",
> i.e. how does it know that what is in the hunk header is not really a
> function name?

It's best effort approach and it's not easy task ;)

Martin