[RFC] Changing gdbarch mid-execution

Alan Hayward Alan.Hayward@arm.com
Fri Jan 24 14:06:00 GMT 2020

> On 22 Jan 2020, at 17:04, Luis Machado <luis.machado@linaro.org> wrote:
>
> CC-ing Alan as well.
>
> On 1/22/20 2:03 PM, Luis Machado wrote:

>>> I'm not keep on the idea of potential constant re-fetching of arch data.
>>> I'd think that "arch-changed=ARCH" with each arch having its own unique
>>> name (can be opaque to GDB) so that GDB can cache the arch description,
>>> and avoid refetching it over and over would be better.
>> I don't like the re-fetching either, so i'm trying to minimize that.
>> Part of the problem is that the vector length (VL) is per-thread, ...
>>>
>>> Also, I don't think a state transition such a "arch changed" is the best.
>>> I'd think making the stop reply say:
>>>
>>>   "stopped on code running arch foo"
>>>
>>> is better.
>>>
>>> See this:
>>>
>>>   https://www.sourceware.org/gdb/papers/multi-arch/real-multi-arch/
>>>
>>> In which Cagney suggested something very similar:
>>>
>>>   T00;...;Architecture=<arch>;...
>>>       The T packet is used to report the reason the target stopped to GDB. That packet includes information such as the processor and that processors registers. The packet can be extended to include the architecture of the processor that halted.
>>>
>> ... so the above, even though it works nicely for reporting the stop of a single thread, it won't carry information about potential other threads that stopped along with the one the caused the stop reply to be sent, right? We would need to fetch updates from the other threads in case they changed their VL during execution.
>>>
>>> Though for the SVE case, I'm not sure a target description change is the
>>> best model, where you end up with a different target description description
>>> for each potential different vector length.
>> Right. A new target description comes along with new sizes for the particular types and aggregates it defines.
>>>
>>> An alternative could be for the target description to always describe the
>>> largest possible vector file, or explicitly describe the VLE registers as variable
>>> length, and then gdb would handle presenting the usable registers.  GDB should
>>> be able to tell the size of the vector registers by looking at the VQ (or was
>>> it VL?  Or whatever it is called) register.
>> The variable length description is technically more correct, but i think we already opted for a different solution with multiple VL-based target descriptions.

My big worry With a variable length description is that the gdbtype system would fall over.
I’ve not delved too much in that area, so I’m not sure how much would need fixing up.

You’d also want to make sure it doesn’t always allocate the maximum size register bank,
otherwise with lots of threads, that’s a large overhead.

If this does end up being the solution, then maybe a later task, after everything is working,
would be change the local target version to work in the same way.

>> My idea is to not rely on register values and, instead, focus on sizes of some aggregates the target description defines. That way we are not forced to fetch any registers and can infer the vector length from the sizes on the new target description.
>> Both native sides (GDB and gdbserver) and QEMU know how to detect VL changes. It is just the communication of that change to GDB that we need to sort out via RSP.
>>>
>>> In effect, we can see the current native support as a middle ground,
>>> where aarch64_linux_nat_target::thread_architecture returns a different
>>> gdbarch, there's no target description re-fetching, I believe.
>>>
>> There is no re-fetching in the sense that data doesn't get passed around, but new target descriptions do get created dynamically (aarch64_create_target_description) based on the new VL. The resulting gdbarch then gets cached so we don't need to recreate that particular variation.
>> My idea for a RSP-based target description update tries to mimic that as follows...
>> - Remote end notices a target description / gdbarch change and notifies GDB via a stop reply packet entry.

Thinking about this again... problem now is that when the remote stops, the remote now needs to do a VL read for
every thread. That’s going to horrible when we get to lots of threads. Then that information needs putting
into the stop reply thread. Imagine a program with 500 threads, and 200 of them have changed vector length.