Allow C99/C11 in bfd?

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Fri Jan 24 11:50:00 GMT 2020

Hi Christian,

> I noticed that bfd is currently using C89. I was wondering if there
> are any thoughts on allowing C99/C11 in there? It would be nice to be
> able to declare variables at the time of first use, among other useful
> features.

I would be willing to consider such a change, provided that there are
no strenuous objections...

> (I'm not even going to ask about C++, although I think that would be nice)

Bah!  Real programmers don't use C++!  Just joking of course,
but I seriously doubt that we will want to change the code base
now.  Speaking personally I am much more comfortable with C
than with C++, but that is probably just me.

Cheers
  Nick