How to set a breakpoint on imported Win32 function?

Eli Zaretskii eliz@gnu.org
Fri Jan 17 07:46:00 GMT 2020

> From: Ruslan Kabatsayev <b7.10110111@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 23:00:04 +0300
> Cc: Luis Machado <luis.machado@linaro.org>, gdb@gnu.org
>
> > If I start a MinGW program under GDB, and then put a breakpoint on
> > ExitProcess, I get this:
> >
> >   Temporary breakpoint 2, main (argc=2, argv=0xa42848) at emacs.c:934
> >   934       bool no_loadup = false;
> >   (gdb) break ExitProcess
> >   Breakpoint 3 at 0x7c81bfa7
> >   (gdb) info breakpoints
> >   Num     Type           Disp Enb Address    What
> >   3       breakpoint     keep y   0x7c81bfa7 <KERNEL32!ExitProcess+5>
> >
> > So it seems that GDB already knows how to put breakpoints on such
> > functions: you just need to name them without the DLL-name part.
> > However, I'm not sure I understand what is meant above by "functions
> > imported by name".  How exactly were they imported?  Does the above
> > technique work for you?
>
> They were imported as named functions usually are, i.e. not by
> ordinal. I just said this to emphasize that GDB should be able to find
> these symbols.

Doesn't the fact that "break ExitProcess" works mean GDB _is_ able to
find the symbol?  Maybe I'm missing something, but I always considered
the "KERNEL32!" part some kind of decoration, not really part of the
symbol.