error reading variable on Windows Docker Containers

J.R. Heisey jrheisey@raytheon.com
Fri Nov 15 18:00:00 GMT 2019

Why are you quoting the variable name?

Thanks,
J.R.
SVO 460 Room 167
X2949

-----Original Message-----
From: gdb-owner@sourceware.org <gdb-owner@sourceware.org> On Behalf Of Jonah Graham
Sent: Friday, November 15, 2019 9:20 AM
To: GDB Development <gdb@sourceware.org>
Subject: [External] error reading variable on Windows Docker Containers

Hello folks,

I have a strange error using GDB on a Windows Docker container and I don't know where to start in diagnosing the problem.

Simply, when trying to print characters or strings I get "error reading variable". For example:

(gdb) p 'Z'
$1 = 90 '<error reading variable>
instead of:
$1 = 90 'Z'

Full log below. This is running a Windows Docker container (FROM
mcr.microsoft.com/windows/servercore:1809) using msys2's distribution of mingw-w64-x86_64-gdb.

Full command and output:

gdb -ex "p 'Z'" -ex "p/x 'Z'" -ex "p \"abcd\"" -ex "quit"
GNU gdb (GDB) 8.3.1
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

Type "show copying" and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-w64-mingw32".
    <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.

For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word".
$1 = 90 '<error reading variable>
$2 = 0x5a
$3 = <error reading variable>

What I expect, and what I get on the same version of Windows Pro (1809) with the identical GDB when running on the host OS is:

$1 = 90 'Z'
$2 = 0x5a
$3 = "abcd"

Any guidance greatly welcome.

PS for those of you who might wonder why, I am in the process of setting up regression tests on Windows for a VS Code Debug Adapter for GDB by the Eclipse CDT project: https://github.com/eclipse-cdt/cdt-gdb-adapter. I am hoping to run these tests in a container to improve reproducibility. At the moment our tests pass, except the ones for variables.

Thank you,
Jonah

~~~
Jonah Graham