gdb 8.3.1 truncated register in remote g packet

Luis Machado luis.machado@linaro.org
Fri Nov 1 16:11:00 GMT 2019

Hi Reinoud,

On 10/31/19 3:58 PM, Reinoud Koornstra wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I downloaded an compiled gdb 8.3.1 with --target=arm-linux-gnueabihf on my
> x86_64 pc.
> Compiled and installed fine. I started the gdb with the vmlinux file and
> tried to connect to the remote arm32 machine: target remote /dev/ttyUSB0
> Then I get: Truncated register 19  in remote 'g' packet.
> What is going wrong here? I saw earlier archives about similar issues, but
> i thought those would have been patched. Any help would be appreciated.
That error means your remote arm32 machine's debugging stub doesn't
agree with GDB in terms of the register set. GDB is likely assuming
register set A and the debugging stub is assuming register set B.

You can check what the debugging stub is sending via "set debug remote
1". If it supports XML register descriptions, you'll see data flying by.

If it doesn't, then GDB is probably making a guess as to what the proper
register set is.

In summary, i think we need more data in order to make an informer guess
on what is going wrong here, but probably GDB and the debugging stub are
not in sync in terms of registers.