Buildling gdb on Ubuntu 18.04

Simon Marchi simon.marchi@polymtl.ca
Thu Jan 31 15:54:00 GMT 2019

On 2019-01-31 01:22, Ömer Sinan Ağacan wrote:
>> Which bug are you referring to?  Is it something know and documented
>> in
>> Bugzilla?
>
> I don't of if any of these are documented in Bugzilla, but
>
> - gdb sometimes prints more than one newline after a record. According
>   section 27.2.2 there should be only one newline.

Oh, can you give a sequence of commands that triggers this?

> - According to 27.2.2 a sequence of records result records should come
> after
>   out-of-band record, but I sometimes get a sequence like
> [out-of-bound,
>   result, out-of-bound].

I am not sure about the pedantic accuracy of the grammar for this, but I
guess it works because the last out-of-band record can be considered as
before the next result record, that has not yet arrived.  The idea is
that out-of-band records can happen pretty much at any time (and they
are not necessarily related to the command you happen to have just
issued previously).

> - According to 27.2.2 a sequence of records should terminate with
> "(gdb)\n" or
>   "(gdb)\r\n", but I get "(gdb) \n".

We should check how old versions behaved, but I would guess that in this
case it's the documentation that is wrong, and should include the space.
  Would you mind sending a patch for this?

> - Most annoyingly, when I add a breakpoint to a location that
> corresponds to
>   multiple locations in the source code (so it leads to adding more
> than one
>   breakpoint), the mi syntax gdb prints looks like this
>
>       =breakpoint-created,bkpt={...},{...},{...}
>
>   which is not valid because a "result" should look like `x=y` so stuff
> after
>   the first "result" (`bkpt={...}`) are not actually results.

This last one is the one I aim to fix in

   https://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2019-01/msg00427.html

Can you check if the proposed output makes sense to you?

Simon