Buildling gdb on Ubuntu 18.04

Simon Marchi simon.marchi@polymtl.ca
Wed Jan 30 14:58:00 GMT 2019

On 2019-01-30 02:40, Ömer Sinan Ağacan wrote:
> I'm trying to build gdb from git on Ubuntu 18.04 to see if some of the
> bugs I'm
> observing with machine interface of 8.1.0.20180409-git are fixed in the
> development version. I got a few different errors before but with some
> help from
> people on the IRC channel I was able to make progress, and current
> status is
> this: https://gist.github.com/osa1/4548c5bc2d167541557e0a349944eb00
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how to move from there? Kernel version on
> Ubuntu
> 18.04: 4.15.0-44-generic
>
> Thanks
>
> Ömer

About this error:

nat/gdb_ptrace.h:129:8: error: ‘PTRACE_TYPE_RET’ does not name a type;
did you mean ‘PTRACE_TYPE_ARG3’?

The PTRACE_TYPE_RET type should be defined in the gdb/config.h file, in
your build directory.  For example, I have

650 /* Define as the return type of ptrace. */
           │warning: File
"/home/emaisin/build/binutils-gdb/gdb/gdb-gdb.py" auto-loading has be
651 #define PTRACE_TYPE_RET long

Is there a mention of PTRACE_TYPE_RET in your config.h?  I assume it is
undefined?

Simon