Proposal: Drop GDB support for Python versions < 2.6

Eli Zaretskii eliz@gnu.org
Thu Feb 21 14:42:00 GMT 2019

> Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 23:46:10 -0700
> From: Kevin Buettner <kevinb@redhat.com>
>
> > Dropping 2.6, let alone 2.7, would be a terrible nuisance for me.  So
> > I'm asking to keep that until they really put a drag on the GDB
> > development (which doesn't seem to be the case now).
>
> That's fine.  At the moment, there's no real reason to not continue to
> (potentially) support 2.6.  I say "potentially" because for some of us,
> figuring out how to test against 2.6 is really hard.  However, if you
> continue to do regular builds of upstream gdb using Python 2.6,
> it'll get tested.

Yes, I build all the GDB versions with Python 2.6 and at least
debugging Emacs some of the Python support is in constant use, as
.gdbinit that ships with Emacs uses that.

When we add a GDB feature whose support with Python 2.6 will be
problematic, I won't object dropping 2.6.

Thanks.