Proposal: Drop GDB support for Python versions < 2.6

Mark Wielaard mark@klomp.org
Thu Feb 21 10:45:00 GMT 2019

On Thu, 2019-02-21 at 06:39 +0400, Joel Brobecker wrote:
> > > Going even further, since 2.6 is no longer supported by the Python
> > > community, I'd also be okay with saying that GDB only supports Python
> > > 2.7 and Python 3.X.
> >
> > Don't know if anyone cares, but as a heavy user of Python support in
> > GDB, I'm fine with this.  As long as GDB still supports Python 2.7 it's
> > A-OK with me.
>
> +1.
>
> As for Python 2.7, let's keep it for a year or two more, before
> we completely drop it.

It is probably a good idea to coordinate on when to drop 2.7 support
and announce it in advance so everybody has enough time to prepare.

2020 seems the agreed upon time to do it:
https://pythonclock.org/
https://python3statement.org/

Since many projects already did drop 2.x support using (and testing)
the gdb python 2.x bindings is already getting somewhat complicated on
modern distros.

Cheers,

Mark