PSA: Formalizing the glibc<->gdb probe-based interface.

Tom Tromey tom@tromey.com
Wed Feb 13 17:13:00 GMT 2019

Carlos> We document *other* probes in manual/probes.texi, but we should
Carlos> add a section for stable guaranteed probes, and discuss a way
Carlos> to deprecate the probes should we ever need to do that.

Because probes are introspectable, it's actually better to remove them
than to change their semantics -- the tools can adapt more easily to
this.  Of course it's good to have a transition period, or at least some
sort of warning.

As I recall we had some thoughts about ABI compatibility when adding the
probes; namely that it is ok to add arguments to the end, but not ok to
remove arguments or to change the meaning of existing arguments.

HTH,
Tom