GDB is broken on systems with readline built without -fexceptions

Pedro Alves palves@redhat.com
Tue Feb 12 19:35:00 GMT 2019

On 02/09/2019 01:28 AM, Brian Vandenberg wrote:
>     On 04/21/2016 03:31 PM, Pedro Alves wrote:
>     > Forgot to qualify "broken".  The symptom is:
>     >
>     >  (gdb) whatever-command-that-causes-an-error
>     >  terminate called after throwing an instance of 'gdb_exception_RETURN_MASK_ERROR'
>     >  Aborted
>     >  $
>     >
>     A proper fix is turning out to be more complicated than I'd hope,
>     so in the mean time, to get things working again, I flipped gdb's
>     TRY/CATCH mechanism back to setjmp/longjmp instead of C++ try/catch,
>     again.
>     You should no longer need the --enable-build-with-cxx=no workaround.
>     Thanks,
>     Pedro Alves

Note that the original problems that led to that "broken" above have
been fixed, a long while ago.

> I'm still waiting for IT to get me the 8.2 source so I can try that version, but in the meantime: I'm seeing this error in Solaris 10 (sparc) with 8.1.1.  I built gdb configured like this:
>
> /path/to/src/configure \
>   --prefix=/install/path \
>   --enable-plugins \
>   --enable-tui \
>   --with-python=yes \
>   --disable-largefile \
>   --without-system-readline \
>   --enable-64-bit-bfd \
>   --with-expat \
>   --with-libexpat-prefix=/opt/csw \
>   --with-x \
>   LDFLAGS="$(echo -n -Wl,-{L,R}/opt/csw/lib)" \
>   {CFLAGS,CPPFLAGS,CXXFLAGS}=-isystem/opt/csw/include
>
> I don't recall the rationale behind all of the above options.  Some of them came from how the folks at opencsw.org <http://opencsw.org> build GDB, others were me just banging on it until it compiled successfully (perhaps to my own detriment).
>
> If you can offer any suggestions I would appreciate it.

I'd suspect that this happens because GDB is built/linked with
"-static-libstdc++ -static-libgcc", and that doesn't work
correctly on Solaris.  ISTR that we observed that on other
ports as well.

Thanks,
Pedro Alves