GDB doesn't interrupt target

Jonah Graham jonah@kichwacoders.com
Fri Dec 20 16:23:00 GMT 2019

(resending because last email with embedded picture bounced)

On Fri, 20 Dec 2019 at 10:37, Tudor Popescu <popescu.m.tudor@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Well we have the following versions:
>
> org.eclipse.cdt 9.3.0.201706122201
> org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb 5.3.0.201706122201
> org.eclipse.cdt.dsf.gdb.ui 2.6.0.201706122201

I can't immediately see any significant changes since this version was
released. However, there are a few patch releases for CDT 9.3, current
one is 9.3.3 (https://www.eclipse.org/cdt/downloads.php) (p2
https://download.eclipse.org/tools/cdt/releases/9.3/). Have you tried
with something more recent. The new-ui support was very new when 9.3
was released, so there may be some bug fixes. In fact, CDT 9.3 was
released more than a year before the version of GDB you are using.
While I always hope that we release CDT that will work with future and
unreleased GDBs, it is hard to be certain of that. Can you please
report back if this is failing in most recent CDT releases (CDT 9.10
https://www.eclipse.org/cdt/downloads.php part of Eclipse 2019-12
release https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/)

> On Windows, the suspend works. Should it work on Linux as well?

On Windows there is no new-ui (yet!), so the code paths in Eclipse are
very different for this. Of course suspend *should* work on both.

Please raise a bug
(https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=CDT) in CDT with
the details and I can look at it further. In addition to the version
of those bundles, I need what launch configuration you are using. You
can either share your .launch file, or if that is not possible tell me
what is selected in Debug Configurations dialog on the left (launch
config type) and if present which launcher (this area, next to
revert/apply buttons may be blank). See
https://i.imgur.com/wIkAb0U.png

And it would be most useful to include the MI trace to see what is
going wrong. If it off by default, but you can turn it on in
Preferences -> C/C++ -> Debug -> GDB and check "Show the GDB traces
[...]". Once enabled the Console view will display the MI trace.

I hope we can get to the bottom of this.

> All the best,
> Tudor

~~~
Jonah Graham