Thread names and non-ASCII characters

Tom Tromey tom@tromey.com
Thu Dec 19 18:25:00 GMT 2019

>> Converting to the host charset is probably the thing to do.

Paul> Host charset, or target charset?  I would assume target since
Paul> we're talking about threads on the target.

In this case it sounded like the charset on the target is known to be
UTF-16, but to display in gdb it has to be converted from that to the
host charset.

For Linux, we should probably convert from the target charset to the
host charset; though this seems a little odd, in that I think the kernel
enforces a (short) length limit on thread names, and anybody using
non-ASCII risks having the name be cut off in the middle of a UTF-8
sequence.

Tom