GDB doesn't interrupt target

Tudor Popescu popescu.m.tudor@gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 14:20:00 GMT 2019

Hello,

I am using an eclipse-based IDE and a gdb/gdbserver combination for aarch64
targets. GDB version we use is 8.2.1 on a Linux host.

Main problem is GDB doesn't interrupt the target when Ctrl-C is sent to
eclipse's Debugger Console. Same thing happens when using kill -2 on
pidof(gdb), or when pressing suspend button in eclipse.

As far as I can tell, GDB 8.2.1 is launched with 2 interpreters: console
and mi2. The actual arguments are:
--interpreter mi2 -q --interpreter console -ex "new-ui mi /dev/pts/5" -ex
"set pagination off" -ex "show version"

The old GDB 7.11.1 we used, received only "–interpreter mi2 --nx" as
arguments and everything related to target interrupt was working as
expected.

>From my investigation, the behavior described above is somehow related to
the terminal management (and also target_terminal::is_ours()). Looks like
when eclipse is involved, target_pass_ctrlc() is never called. My
understanding is that we need target_terminal::is_ours() to return false in
order to interrupt the target. But this never happens on my setup.

What I need, is a way to interrupt the target while target is running.
Also, I would like to understand what is causing the above mentioned
behavior. I know that GDB 7.12+ introduced some changes to support a
prettier Debugger Console in eclipse and this seems to impact somehow the
interrupt functionality in my case.

So the main question is how do I make GDB 8.2.1 behave like GDB 7.11.1 when
it comes to target interrupting (e.g. Ctrl+C)? Are there any special
arguments that need to be passed to GDB?