building GDB 9.0.50.20191206

Simon Marchi simark@simark.ca
Fri Dec 13 19:53:00 GMT 2019

On 2019-12-12 9:09 a.m., Joel Brobecker wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> I am trying to build GDB 9.0.50.20191206 from source and am getting the following error:
>>
>> configure: error: source directory already configured; run "make distclean" there first
>> configure: error: .././../../gnulib/configure failed for build-gnulib-gdbserver
>> configure: error: ./configure failed for gdbserver
>> make[1]: *** [Makefile:9534: configure-gdb] Error 1
>> make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/gdb-9.0.50.20191206'
>> make: *** [Makefile:852: all] Error 2
>>
>> I don't need the server component of GDB as I will be debugging locally, but could not find any option in the configure script to disable the building of the server component. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Let me point you to the message I sent following the announcement of
> the availability of the first pre-release:
> https://www.sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2019-12/msg00451.html
>
> I apologize for the message about the branch being created not
> but that's because these are automated, and I didn't know about
> that issue at the time the branch was created.
>
> --
> Joel

Adding Tom in CC.

Tom, could you describe what is missing to complete this move?

I am afraid that if we release like this, we'll get this question a ton of time, it wouldn't
be a good user experience at all.  So it would be good to either:

(1) complete the move before the release
(2) make it official that building in the source directory is not supported from now on (this
    idea was brought up a few times in the past), make configure fail when trying to do so
    with a clear error message

Please tell me if there's anything I can do to help with this effort.

Simon