Renaming .c files to .cc?

Eli Zaretskii eliz@gnu.org
Thu Dec 12 06:17:00 GMT 2019

> From: Christian Biesinger <cbiesinger@google.com>
> Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 17:59:39 -0500
> Cc: gdb@sourceware.org, Pedro Alves <palves@redhat.com>
>
> > Not every Git command has a --follow option, so renaming files does
> > have disadvantages in that area.
>
> Do you have a specific command in mind that doesn't? I haven't come
> across that yet myself.

Are you saying that every Git command supports that option?  I don't
think so.

And even those who do support it impose limitations when it's used.
For example,

  $ git log file1 file2 ...

works, but

  $ git log --follow file1 file2 ...

fails with an error message.  So many important forensic
investigations limit you to single files when using --follow.

> > Also, even with --follow, Git's tracking of renaming is heuristics,
> > so it can fail.
>
> Technically correct, but not an issue in practice when files are being
> renamed without changes, like they would be here.

That's not guaranteed, because several files with similar contents can
dupe the heuristics.

Anyway, like Pedro said: the reasons for being in the "rather not"
camp are not strong.