gdb command "next" wrongly working as command "step"

Pedro Alves palves@redhat.com
Mon Aug 26 13:18:00 GMT 2019

On 8/25/19 8:04 PM, William Tambe wrote:
> Please see below, less noisy GDB output showing a working backtrace
> where I can see the caller in frame #1; but yet GDB command "next" is
> working as though it was "step"; any suggestion where else I could
> look ?

- You'll just have to debug gdb.  Try to figure out why this code, inside
  the "infrun: stepped into subroutine" block,seemingly isn't being reached:

	/* Set a breakpoint at callee's return address (the address
	   at which the caller will resume).  */
	insert_step_resume_breakpoint_at_caller (frame);

- I'd use "nexti" instead of "next" to try stepping over the
  instruction that calls the subroutine, just to make it easier
  to debug what goes wrong.

Thanks,
Pedro Alves